Friday, March 12, 2010

Salad Days

Travel is disorienting. That's why I like it. Travel rips me from my routine and stumbles me into new worlds.
Like sectioning an orange and adding it to a salad, travel gives me a tasty new enviroment. an orange may have been pouting in the frig, threatening to get mushy and grow mildew, but released from its skin and broken apart the sections take on new life in the milieu of a Fiesta salad plate. They release flavor when paired with dates, nuts and leafy greens showered in vinaigrette. They bring joy to the palate.
Travel keeps me from molding in my temperature controlled environment. Pulled apart, I evaluate the sections of my life against the desert landscape that plays out before me or the yellow birches whipping by my train window. I vow to discard the small, misshapen sections and make better use of those now fully mature, ready and waiting to grace my salad days.
"Waiter, please, add a salad to my order."

No comments: