Monday, March 15, 2010

Fashion essentials

I admit it. I love fashion. Not high fashion, I'm more the middle or low church when it comes to the liturgy of apparel.
I love the seasonality of fashion -- new colors, new sleeve lengths, new possibilities. I love the challenge -- what can I introduce into the tired collection sagging on my closet rod that will make it fresh and keep me current.
There is something about keeping current, moving with the tide. When you stop keeping pace with the current, you are in danger of drowning. So perhaps there is an element of competition, a quest to remain vital.
There is creativity is combining the old and the new. I love to observe how others accessorize and adapt their ideas to my own style.
There are layers to the what" and "why" of fashion. What am I trying to say about myself? Why do I choose this basic over that eye-popper?
There is an element of respect for others and for situations in fashion. I learned that when I went to Sears for something I deemed essential in the middle of moving into a new house. Too exhausted to care what I looked like, I thought I could slink into anonymity without changing the ratty t-shirt, unflattering shorts, flat hair and no make up (you can do this when you are 25, but it you are 25 you don't like to see your mother do it!).
As I handed over my credit card to the sales clerk, she looked at me in horror and blurted out, "What's the matter with you?" I actually apologized to her for coming to the store looking like a dragged cat and she proceeded to give me a life lecture. I don't remember exactly what she said but I do remember being suddenly aware that my "I don't care" attitude was dragging others down the drain of my spiraling exhaustion.
That's the yin and yang of fashion. It's at once a a whim of change, an urge to update, a quest for something new, a non-essential diversion; and its an acceptance or denial of the effect we have on other people.
It's always been a presbyterian sin to notice what others are wearing when you're supposed to be focusing on the message. But I confess, I'll be noticing that hint of glitter in your trendy scarf that draws me to the glimmer in your eyes.

1 comment:

April said...

Funny and oh so you!