Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Casting God

In A Praying Life by Paul E. Miller the author suggests that we consider carefully who we think we are talking to when we pray. I often cast God in benign roles that focus on what He can do for me. Example: God is my boss, and if I serve him well he will give me good things.
Yesterday, Spring peeked it's head up through the warming soil and I began to think about the writing I am sowing on the path that meanders before me. Laying the seed before God, I entertained thoughts that if I just keep trying different things -- a writer's group, a daily blog, the Iowa Summer Writer's Fesitival, one day God might say "Ch ching! You have chosen Door Number Two! You win!" I had just cast God as a game show host.
God is not a boss to please or a game to win. Daily I must remind myself of who I'm talking to -- the great I Am -- holy, righteous, lover, judge, creator, sustainer. That casts a different light on my role in this relationship.

No comments: