Friday, May 6, 2011

A Writer's Mission

A friend asked me what I was trying to do with my writing. When I didn’t say I hoped to publish the great American novel and achieve fame and fortune she released the breath she was holding and the fear in her eyes faded. Most people believe that if you are a real writer you would be published; if you call yourself a writer prematurely you must be deluded. Or worse.

What I did say was – I want to grow as a writer. What I forgot to add was – I want to encounter truth and experience 1John 1:14, “We are writing these things that our joy may be complete.”

Of course every writer needs an audience. A journal writer requires an audience of one, a blogger may target family, friends and fellow travelers, a novelist hopes to reach the hearts and minds of many more,

The path to publication has widened, but it’s weedy. It reminds me of a neighbor who sought my advice on how to get her daughter on stage because my daughter was having a measure of local success. I mentioned the years of ballet lessons and small roles on rented stages and suggested she enroll her daughter in a community theater class at the recreation center.  She gave me a withering look and spit out in frustration that she had no time for that, her daughter wanted to be famous.  I backed away, much as my friend was prepared to do if I had started pitching the draft of my novel.

Here’s the reality. Writing is a lifestyle. It requires that you plant yourself daily in a chair for hours and focus, then deal with the aftermath in a healthy way. Refuel your body by walking with a friend and breathing fresh air. (Helps you keep your friends.) Replenish your soul by seeking new vistas to rest your eyes on while you nurture the seeds of inspiration scattered in your brain. Refresh your depleted spirit in acts of appreciation.  

Ramping it up to be better than you are also requires productive downtime.   Resting and reading rather than watching C.S.I. Detectives Who’ve Moved to the Dark Side while emailing, posting and killing a bottle of wine (unless you are analyzing plot lines). 

It’s an extravagant lifestyle. Time is yours to account for and waste, Rewards are joy in discovery, hope that you will touch a heart and, let’s not kid ourselves, the possibility you might one day snag a brass ring on the go round.

No comments: