Sunday, May 1, 2011

Picking Paint

Picking paint colors has all the fun quotient of starting a new piece of writing. The burst of inspiration – I’m going to write a novel/redecorate my bathroom; the joy of confirmation – the theme will be regret and renewal/ relaxing at the spa; the thrill of beginning the project – the setting will be Basque regions of Spain and California/the beach and ocean. My purpose is clear.


After choosing shower and floor tile and trim I wade into the waters of choosing colors to paint the walls. Like I do in writing, I will pay attention to current trends. I’ll paint each wall a different color. So far, I’m on terra firma. The trim is small sea glass tile squares in shades of green, blue and taupe. This will dictate my color choice.

As in writing, now I hit the wall. My imagination has driven me into unknown territory. What do I know about Basque culture/tone and hue and color saturation?

In possession of the knowledge that I do have – I want to balance cool ocean tones with a warm-toned taupe accent wall – I head to the paint store. Surely someone who knows color can help me sort through the myriad chips of icy blues, grey greens and intense taupes. I know I’m sunk when the young girl behind the counter says, you mean beige? I’m on my own here.

I give silent respectful acknowledgement to the art majors and interior designers of the world and head to the section where some marketing genius has arranged colors in collections and named them things like Exuberance, Immolation, Au Natural and Zen Meditation. Now we’re talking. How wrong can I go in a bathroom painted with colors from a collection labeled Relaxation or Sea Breezes?

For my walls, I choose Early Morning Climb to grace the toilet and Crystal Geyser to surround my tub. I could make a case for doing it the other way around. The accent wall at one end will be Sea Hawk and in a moment of madness, I add a fourth color. I will paint the opposite wall Mountain Stream. I have a whole short story going in this bathroom.

The moral is this: When a project looms large and threatens to confuse you, use your words.

No comments: