Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Four Spiritual Questions

I've given a lot of thought to how to boil down the Christian message to the essentials in a way that people who struggle with their identity can grasp.  I know my readers are shy about responding, but any feedback would be appreciated.  

1.      Who am I? 
It depends on who you ask. I like the explanation Jesus gives us.  You are a sinner.  That’s who you are. You are God’s child, and a sinner.

2.      What do I about that?
Jesus is clear and direct in his answer when he says I am the way, the truth and the life.   After that, the fun begins. We each work out our salvation – the full implication of what it means to be a sinner saved by grace – with fear and trembling. Fear in the sense of the respect we give to the message and its giver; trembling in full appreciation of the joy we receive when we travel that path.

3.      What if I don’t like the answer?
You are free to choose another answer, but remember -- not making a choice is a choice. You live on the Devil’s playground and you can play there until Kingdom come or you can join the family of God and then the question – who am I? – becomes irrelevant. The question becomes, who are You, God?

4.      How do I join God’s family?
Allow God to work in you to will and to act according to His good purpose. God is love. If you spend your life being genuine, loving your wife/husband/neighbor/brother as yourself, holding fast to what is good, being patient and kind, bearing, believing, hoping and enduring, your reward is love. You become love. That’s who you are in Christ Jesus because he first loved you. Apart from Him you don’t have the genuine fruits of love. Take your eyes off Him and you lose the power to love perfectly.

No comments: