Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Witchy woman

There are occult, sports and finance definitions for the witching hours, but normal people don’t need Wikipedia to define the witching hour for them. It’s the period of time between 3 and 4 am when you lie wide awake, wishing for sleep.

It's also that period of time between 3 and 4 pm when the kids or experience a drop in blood sugar levels that brings out their inner nasty ogre. They flail, they whine, they really do appear to be possessed. It’s the time you abandon your diet and reach for every evil thing you can stuff in your mouth.


Donovan wrote a song about the witching season. The lyrics are part of my brain DNA, yet their meaning escapes me. When I’m perplexed about something – like why I’m awake at 3 am or who turned these kids into Godzilla – I get a brain buzz:

You’ve got to pick up every stitch.

Mmm, must be the season of the witch
I’m a knitter. I know that if I drop a stitch, the whole piece of work unravels. If I miss something in whatever mystery I’m trying to solve, I will never see the truth.

A witch is classically defined as an ugly hag with malignant, supernatural powers; alternatively she is an attractive woman with allure. As an archetype, her truth has two sides, evil and benign.

Judeo-Christian tradition condemns the practice of witchcraft, most often referred to as sorcery and most specifically focused on the sin of idolatry. Do I have “seasons of the witch?” Oh yes.

As sure as the seasons come and go, I will vacillate between that which merely distracts and that which has the power to undo me. Exodus 22:18 cautions us not to suffer a witch to live. When things go wrong, rather than employing this verse to justify whatever witch hunt is de rigueur stop and count your stitches. Maybe while you are lying awake at 3 am.

What have you let slide that is affecting the shape of things? What have you picked up that you should have left alone? Are there holes in what you’re doing? Unevenness an extra stitch may have caused? Pick up the spiritual practice you dropped. Drop the unnecessary activity that threatens your perfect design.

About the baby Godzillas, I haven’t a clue. And, what possessed me to put a brownie in my mouth after I’d been good all day? Must be the season of the witch.

No comments: