Sunday, January 9, 2011

Clothes Story

I walked into my closet and announced to my clothes,
“I’m going to Arizona for a month!”
The fleece vests immediately got in a huddle and muttered,

“She’s not taking us.”
The church clothes hung proudly on their hangers and said,

“She’ll still go to church. She’ll take us.”
The sundress contingent peeked out from where they’d been shoved back behind the church clothes and laughed,

“I don’t think so.”
Then they flaunted their airy skirts and sleeveless construction. The lovely sweaters slumped in the corner.

“We’ve hardly been worn. It’s just now turning cold. We’ve so looked forward to a trip to the mall to see the new styles. Why would she want to go to Arizona in the winter? Now we’ll never get worn.”
The clam diggers slid looks at the short sleeved tees and smirked,

“We’re goin’ to Ar – uh – zo – na.”
The tees sang,

“We’re going too,” and they began to pair up.
The sandals rattled in their boxes high on the shelf, but the underwear remained quiet in the drawer,
“We never get a break. What difference does it make to us whether it’s the snowy mountains or the sunny southwest? We never see daylight!”
"Don’t get too excited,” I said. “I’m not going until March.”

They all relaxed, except for the designer jeans, whose bid for attention is constant.

No comments: