Saturday, January 29, 2011

RIP Ford Taurus

Yesterday my five-year-old Ford Taurus gave up its engine on the road to Sonora. Just as we passed Sierra Motors in Jamestown, Joel remarked as how he’d heard that was a great place to buy a car. I relaxed into idle conversation and commented on how well our Taurus was running now. The alarming smell of engine oil that sent us to the auto repair shop last week seemed to be gone. The moment I said that, the oil pressure light came on, something clunked under my feet and the car expired half a mile passed the dealership.

We had it towed to AutoTech where it received last rites. A couple of quick calls on a dying cell phone located a friend in the checkout counter at Safeway who came and collected us and all the worldly goods that had collected in the crevices of my young car. I was surprised to find I owned so many flashlights and that they’d all found a home in the car.

We shed no tears for the untimely death of my Taurus. It’s just a car. Still, the thought of abandoning her in a parking lot, a perfect body with an engine that just stopped turning makes me sad. Soon, a wrecker will come for her and dump her where vultures will rip parts from her body. Maybe it would be more comforting to think of her as an organ donor, giving new life to other cars with failing parts.

She was only five years old! Something gave out inside her engine. It’s rare the mechanic said, but it happens. It’s just bad luck.

Last night, we went to Sierra Motors and ordered a 2011 Buick Regal; white, like my little Taurus, but with upgrades -- cashmere colored leather seats, a sun roof and a navigation system. We’ll get to take her home next week.

No comments: