Thursday, February 2, 2012

eMotion

I just put The Motion of the Ocean by Janna Cawrse Esarey on my Nook. I discovered this adventure story in a bookstore in Antigua. Esarey lives in the Pacific Northwest where young professionals and people with salt water in their veins seem to converge. She gives us a generous peek into the cruising lifestyle along with some well worded wisdom on relationships (she was honeymooning with the boat captain).

One of many passages I could relate to was a discovery she made as she was being tossed in the air by a storm.


She writes:
I actually enjoyed the speed, the adrenaline, the feeling of flying. The fear squeezing my chest wasn’t so bad either. And that’s the thing about change. Sometimes it happens over days…months…years. And sometimes it happens in that no-time between air and sea, between him and me, between now. And now.
When fear squeezes your chest, time stands still. Priorities shift. Lines get crossed. Perspectives change. While I don’t enjoy speed or the sensation of flying, I do like the feeling of exhilaration.  A good heart thumping scare that vaults you to a new place is the stuff of life and good novels. I recommend this one.