Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Harry Potter, uncloaked

I tested the theory of losing myself in anonymity. After a productive morning plotting my novel I headed to Peet’s for coffee and a sugary walnut cranberry scone. Settling into a comfy chair with a neglected copy of E.M. Forster’s Aspects of the Novel. I deliberately made no eye contact with any co-coffee afficionados.

Shortly, a distressed voice hovered in front of me like the winged golden egg in a game of Quidditch, and then darted over to a man just outside my peripheral vision.
“Did either of you put something in my cup while I was gone?” the voice inquired in fearful alarm. I looked up to see an unassuming looking middle aged woman. I shook my head and the man answered “no.”

“You can’t be too careful, especially if you’ve been hit by a hit-and-run-driver,” she said, collecting the suspect cup of coffee and making a hasty exit.
A thought bubbled up in my head. I forgot, I’m seeking solitude in Santa Cruz. What was I thinking? I returned to my book.

Shortly, a darling little girl flopped into the chair next to mine. I glanced at her, noting that she was about the same age as my granddaughter and just as cute, but did not do her the courtesy of an engaging smile. I returned to my book.

“I like your earrings,” said the five-year old. It became quickly apparent that this truly charming child had the skills of a talk show host. We discussed her wardrobe, her social schedule and the sugar glaze on her cookie. When her grandpa showed up, I kindly offered up my chair so he could sit with her and headed out the door.

I spent the rest of the day on the Capitola Wharf reading, watching the ocean and letting the waves of other people’s conversation roll over me. At Paradise Beach Grille I sipped a Grey Goose Pear Cucumber martini and ate a Castroville artichoke and bay shrimp salad (I could get used to the writing life!)

At the next table an attractive dentist and a wine broker were getting to know each other. “I’m too old to work this much, and my dog is sad,” she said, having explained that she might have to add a day to her four-day work schedule. I had to sneak a peek at her as I left. Okay, big dark sunglasses hide a lot of crow’s feet but I swear she wasn’t a day over 35. Apparently there is still hope for this economy.

Now I’m back at my beach retreat. The clouds parted at 6 pm, just as I was leaving the beach. I feel warmed by the sun, inspired by what I’ve read and amused by my fellow travelers.

No comments: