Thursday, March 3, 2011

Variety Show

The black oak in our yard pulled up roots in the last storm and threw itself across the back forty. The birds that hoteled in that tree will have to find new digs. Shortly after its demise, we also uprooted ourselves and headed to Arizona for respite – or maybe in spite of my superior attitude toward snowbirds. What? Not tough enough to last the winter in the place you’ve chosen to live? That’s why we live in California. Now, we also have flown the coop after a particularly gruesome start to winter.


A lot of my attitudes are being challenged here in the sunny Southwest. I’ll just say it. We are holed up in a Sun City, something else I thought I would never do. Don’t people go to Sun City to die? I guess not, because everyone here looks amazing! They zip around with a sense of purpose, on foot, on bicycles, or in cute little open air contraptions that look like golf carts on steroids.

I took an aqua aerobics class today in an infinity pool the size of Canada. No class for sissies, I punched and kicked and lunged and almost passed out with exertion. Yup, I’ve traded the oaks and pines for saguaro cactus, but mostly I’ve sold out for the amenities. This place has a fitness complex the size of our small town back in California, and it’s a 10 minute walk from our rented house on even pavement. It’s been over a week since I’ve had to dodge a deer on icy streets in the car. The only wildlife I’ve spotted here has been a cottontail bunny, and it dodged me.

I can’t get over how healthy and happy everyone here looks. Of course, I brought my bad habits with me. One hour in the pool does not a reformed exercise slacker make. I still spend hours at my computer writing, but at least I can step outside my door – without a sweater – and go stretch, flex and tone something. I can go with the flow yoga day or night, or tai chi, chi gong or zumba my way back to bliss.

I’m sure all that sunshine will get boring and I’ll be happy to head back to the land of leafy oaks and needled pines that filter the sun, host bird choirs, and shelter fox, deer, and the occasional black bear. Life is a variety show. I’m glad I have a ticket.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Не откладывай на завтра то что вчера отложил на сегодня
!!!